5 Celebrity Icons Gone too Soon
Celebrity deaths typically receive a lot of news coverage, and fans worldwide mourn when their favorite stars pass away. Tragically, some celebrity deaths have been caused by the negligent actions of another person or entity. In these cases, the surviving family members have the right to file a wrongful death lawsuit against the responsible party.
In order to win a wrongful death case, it is imperative for the family to have hard evidence that directly links the actions or inaction of another party to the celebrity’s death, and it is also vital to work with an experienced wrongful death attorney.
Five Celebrity Deaths That Could Have Been Avoided
1. River Phoenix – Hollywood deaths are always shocking, but society finds it to be especially distressing when a young star dies before they are able to reach their full potential. The story of River Phoenix’s overdose death on October 31, 1993, outside of the Viper Room in Los Angeles is well-known, but many people do not realize that Phoenix did not intentionally take the speedball drug mixture of heroin and cocaine. In fact, according to several witnesses and biographer Gavin Edwards, Phoenix was given the mixture in a cup by a friend who failed to tell him what he was ingesting. Due to this, the Phoenix family could have filed a wrongful death lawsuit, but they decided not to pursue this option.
2. John Ritter – A solid acting career that lasted more than three decades was tragically brought to an end on September 11, 2003, when John Ritter passed away from an undiagnosed aortic dissection. As a result, Ritter’s widow filed a successful wrongful death lawsuit against the Providence St. Joseph Medical Center and two of the physicians who treated him.
3. David Carradine – Bangkok police initially ruled Carradine’s death a suicide when his body was first found after his death on June 4, 2009. However, two autopsies indicated that he actually died from autoerotic asphyxiation, and this led to a wrongful death lawsuit being filed by his widow against MK2 Productions due to an alleged contract violation. The case was settled successfully in August 2011.
4. John Lennon – The O.J. Simpson murder trial did not end in a conviction, but Simpson was later held responsible for a wrongful death lawsuit. This case highlights the fact that murder can be looked at as a wrongful death. John Lennon’s widow, Yoko Ono, could have taken this additional legal action, and hired a New York wrongful death attorney against Mark David Chapman for shooting Lennon in New York City on December 8, 1980.
5. Michael Jackson – Although the Jackson family ended up losing their wrongful death lawsuit, there has been a lot of controversy due to jurors stating that a misleading verdict form led to AEG Live’s victory in the case. The family is currently seeking an appeal due to this and many questions that surround the connection between the concert promoter and Jackson’s personal doctor.
Sadly, wrongful deaths happen to people worldwide on a regular basis. If one of your loved ones becomes the victim of another person or entity’s negligent actions, you should contact an experienced wrongful death attorney to help you take legal action.
Jennifer Alston remembers the day, the radio and news stations reported Michael Jackson dead and the impact on his family and children. Know that consulting with a New York wrongful death attorney or local lawyer in your area to know your civil liberties as a family, victim to these types of deaths, is always your privilege.
Photo Credit #1: http://www.flickr.com/photos/justo_ruiz_photogrpher/3661362432/
Photo Credit #2: http://www.flickr.com/photos/shemp65/5408681881/
No Comments »
No comments yet.
Leave a comment