Some of the frequently asked questions by users of water dispenser or water boiler for tea are:
- How frequently should I clean my water dispenser?
- Am I following the right steps to cleaning my water dispenser?
- Is my water boiler for tea free from contamination?
- Am I drinking safe water from my water dispenser?
When to Clean
All such worries will vanish if you clean you water dispenser at regular intervals following a suitable cleaning process. The normal time interval between cleaning your water cooler varies from three to six months. However, this cleaning period varies depending on whether you are using a water cooler or a water heater like a water boiler for tea. If you have a water cooler, it can be cleaned less frequently compared to a water boiler. The advisable cleaning time for a water cooler is every six months, while the same for a water boiler is three months. Now, to keep you water free from any kind of contamination, it is essential that you follow some simple and easy steps to clean your water dispenser regularly.
Get Ready to Clean
But before looking into these steps, you must ensure that you have everything essential for cleaning the hot water dispenser. These include a pair of clean rubber gloves, a few cotton or paper towels, some bleach, scrubbing pads, and boiling water.
10 Easy Steps
Now that you are ready with all the necessary items ready, let’s move on to the main cleaning process:
- First things first, unplug the dispenser from the power source and remove any empty bottles from it.
- Next, add a tablespoon of bleach in a bucket of boiling water to prepare the bleach solution.
- Open the faucet to drain the remaining water from the dispenser’s reservoir.
- Fill the reservoir with the bleach solution.
- Then clean the interior of the reservoir using scrubbing pads. You must wear the rubber gloves while cleaning the interior.
- Once you are done with the internal cleaning, drain out the water mixture through the faucet.
- Next, add fresh water to the reservoir followed by rinsing the water and then again it draining out through the faucet. You must repeat this step until there is no smell and taste of bleach in the water of the water dispenser.
- Use cotton or paper towels to wipe the water from the outer surface of the dispenser.
- Next, put a water bottle on the dispenser and connect it in to the power source.
- Allow the water to pass through the dispenser for a few minutes and you are ready with your clean water dispenser.
A Few More Pointers
While cleaning your water dispenser, it is essential to consider and take care of some points. For example, you should never clean a water dispenser when it is plugged into the power source. You must also be careful while preparing the bleach solution as the hot water may cause burns. It is advisable to use new bottles with your water dispenser after cleaning it and unused bottles must be kept in a cool and clean area that is well ventilated. If you have a water boiler for tea, you must plug the hot tank in order to prevent the bleach solution from entering into the hot tank. Boiling water is sufficient for cleaning the hot tanks.
I am sure these easy and essential steps to clean the water dispenser will definitely contribute to keeping your family healthy and happy.
Syed Afzal Hussain is an instructional designer by vocation and self-made home technician by choice. He loves repairing and cleaning household objects, for example, electrical appliances, water dispensers, water boilers for tea, etc.