With the growing interest and necessity for city living, the number of individuals and families who choose condo and apartment dwelling is also increasing. Unfortunately, condominium and apartment units keep getting smaller; thus, storage becomes a very common problem. While choosing this kind of dwelling means reducing living space, it doesn’t have to affect one’s comfort. If you are one of those people who are living in a small apartment, there are savvy storage solutions that can help you maximize your space.
Today, creative storage and shelving solutions are becoming more and more in demand. These solutions offer brilliant and innovative features that can surely keep your belongings safely contained. This article lists a few clever storage systems which can help keep your living space tidy and organized while improving its aesthetic appeal.
One of the best ways to add more space in your small apartment unit is to use functional furniture. There are pieces of furniture which can double as storage systems. You can also make use of the space below your existing pieces of furniture as storage so that you won’t have to purchase additional pieces. Here are a few ideas:
- If you have a platform-style bed, it can offer other functions aside from being a sleeping area. You can add built-in drawers or shelves where you can store books, clothes, or other accessories.
- You can also use the space underneath the bed for storage. All you have to do is purchase the right sizes for the container bins and baskets. This storage solution can keep your bedroom neat and organized.
- Another option is to use bench storage seating which serves as a sitting area as well as a storage system. You can get the same functionality if you use couches with drawers at the bottom area.
- If you have an antique trunk which has been passed down in your family for generations, you can use it as a table in your living space, instead of purchasing an expensive coffee table. It can even double as a storage space to keep clutter at bay.
- In the dining room area, you can look for a dining table which can serve as both a desk and formal eating area.
Adding cabinets in your small living space will provide you with additional storage; however, you cannot use bulky and huge cabinets since it will only take up more space. To help you get the additional storage you need without using bulky cabinet pieces, here are a few tips.
- You can add a built-in bookshelf in the entryway where you can place your books, pictures, and other accessories.
- You can even consider making a built-in bookshelf that swings out to reveal additional storage.
- If you have a cramped kitchen space, you can add storage space by creating a hole through your garage wall. You can then install an adjustable shelf or sliding doors so that you will have an efficient, functional, and flexible pantry.
- Another tip is to use recessed cabinets. You can install these cabinets behind sink or running along the counters. These cabinets can act as an extension of the counters. They can be used as storage for things that usually take up a lot of space.
- Another brilliant way to take advantage of your lower cabinets is to install pull-out cabinets. These cabinets are designed like a drawer. This means that you can easily see what’s stored in the cabinet. In addition, the pull out function will make it easier for you to take out items without needing to dig around.
Reclaim Wasted Space
You can transform usually unused spaces in your apartment by installing built-in shelves, cabinets, or bench seating. Here are a few creative ideas:
- To utilize the empty space at the top of the stairs, you can install a built-in bench storage seating. In doing so, you can create a cozy sitting area, and when you flip-up the lids below the bench cushion, you will find hidden storage where you can place toys, linens, and other items you want to hide.
- You can also make use of the walls in your apartment unit. You can add shelves which can purchase at a home improvement store. This is one of the easiest ways to add extra shelving systems in your space.
- Lastly, you often find space at your ceiling area. A clever idea to utilize this unused space is to install shelves all the way up. You can access the shelves by using a library ladder with rollers.
These are just a few creative storage and shelving solutions which you can use in your living space. If you have valuable possessions which you don’t often use but you cannot bear to part with, you can always consider getting a storage unit from a reputable storage facility.
The author, Kris Lim, is a professional organizer who offers innovative storage tips and ideas for her readers. She also recommends her readers to get a storage unit from US Storage Centers.
No Comments »
No comments yet.
Leave a comment