Angular cheilitis is a type of skin inflammation that is commonly found in the corners of the mouth. It is generally susceptible to bleeding and cracking. It could be a pain due to the discomforting feeling it brought to individuals who have it. There are various factors that cause the inflammation of angular cheilitis. This kind of infection could be evident to individuals of any age particularly those who lack proper nutrition in their body.
Causes of Angular Cheilitis
- Dribbling saliva in the corner of the mouth
- Overhanging lips
- Spread of yeasts, bacteria or viruses in the inflamed area of the skin
- Dry chapped lips
- Deep furrows in the corners of the mouth
- Painful cracks or fissures in the inflamed skin
- Redness, blisters, bleeding, ooze or crusting of the irritated area of the skin.
It is important to find cure of angular cheilitis even if it doesn’t posts any severe threat on an individual’s health. Leaving this kind of skin inflammation untreated would usually cause severe pain in the corners of the mouth and could possibly affect your appetite. Hence, it could also cause an unsightly skin. There are lots of angular cheilitis remedies available both in home and over-the-counter products that could help you get rid this skin infection.
Several treatments for Angular Cheilitis: Over the counter Products
Ways of treating angular cheilitis varies depending on its cause. Here are several ways that one can make use of in treating angular cheilitis:
- Application of antifungal creams and application of topical antibiotic to the area healing the lesions.
- Application of lip balm to your lips. Moisture brought by saliva can cause the development of this skin inflammation and constant licking of your dry lips may trigger the development of angular cheilitis. Hence, using lip balm could save you trouble from having dry lips.
- Use emollient ointment on the dry corners of your mouth.
- Use Topical antiseptics, oral antistaphylococcal, and oral antifungal medication
- You could also apply antibiotic topical steroid ointment in the irritated skin area as it is also useful in treating angular cheilitis.
- In drying out angular cheilitis, applying triple antibiotic ointment or polysporin could also be useful. It usually contains some combination of polymyxin B and neomycin or bacitracin. This ointment could serve as an aid in healing the sores. It could also treat the bacterial infection. This ointment is proven to be effective in treating angular cheilities as long as the cause of the skin infection is bacterial.
- Apply hydrocortisone cream. This is another type tropical steroid that could be used in treating skin irrititation. Hydrocortisone cream is a prescript product that could dry out angular cheilitis.
- Anti-fungal creams are then applied if the previous treatment is not effective.
Over-the-counter products are effective. However, if the skin infection in the corners of your mouth is not still treated with these various applications, it would be advisable to seek medications from doctors. At times, over-the-counter products may not work, thus, you might need a strong prescription of strong topical anti-fungal treatment. If your skin is too much sensitive for skin infection, it would be recommendable to consult the doctor before using any form of over-the-counter anti-fungal products.
Photo Credit: Evil Erin (CC BY 2.0)